Reactions of Aromatic Compounds (overall)
First, the learning unit describes the mechanism of electrophilic aromatic substitution including the energetics, intermediates, and transition states. Further, it is discussed in which way the inductive and mesomeric effects of first substituents influence the reactivity of substituted aromatic compounds in second substitution. Then, the nucleophilic aromatic substitution's mechanism is explained inclusive of intermediates, transition states, etc.. Finally, the preparation and the structure of dehydroarenes (arynes) is depicted.
- Mechanism of electrophilic aromatic substitution - Ar-SE.
- Inductive and mesomeric effects on the reactivity of substituted aromatic compounds.
- Regioselectivity of second substitution.
- Variuos examples of electrophilic aromatic substitution reactions.
- Mechanism of nucleophilic aromatic substitution - Ar-SN.
- Dehydroarenes (Arynes).